If you’re looking for ways to successfully teach your dog commands and desired behaviors, a board and train program might interest you. Below, learn about these programs and whether one might be the right fit for you and your four-legged friend.
What Is a Dog Board and Train Program?
A board and train program is an intensive dog training solution, beneficial for dog owners with busy schedules or those looking to address specific behavioral issues.
Your dog will live with a qualified trainer during this training, participating in daily training exercises and enrichment activities. When not learning new skills, your pup will live in the trainer’s home or in a kennel socializing with other dogs, depending on the trainer you work with.
What Can Extended Stay Training Programs Do for Your Dog?
Overnight training programs can offer various services depending on the trainer and your dog’s age, needs and prior training experience. At the most basic level, these training programs can teach your dog standard commands, including “sit,” “down,” “stay,” “heel” and “come.” Trainers can also address issues like jumping, leash pulling, stealing food off the counter and more. Others may work with your dogs to teach them fun tricks.
Enrolling your dog could also be a valuable attempt to correct more serious behavioral issues like aggression or anxiety. If you want to address these kinds of problems, it’s crucial to find a trainer with an extensive track record and proper qualifications to properly and safely work with your dog.
Advantages of Dog Board and Train Services
Here are a few key benefits of these services to consider:
- Most of the training is done for you: Overnight training takes care of most of the heavy lifting, providing basic obedience training and solutions tailored to your needs. Keep in mind that after the training is over, you’ll still have to spend some time with your four-legged friend working on commands and behaviors.
- Fully immerse your dog: When your dog is placed in a new environment with new people, they may be more open to adopting new habits. Plus, training every day speeds up the process of teaching your pup the manners and obedience you’re looking for in no time.
- Endless socialization opportunities: Sending your dog away from your home is a great way to expose them to new places and faces. They’ll begin to feel more comfortable and confident with other people and dogs and in new environments, drastically improving their quality of life.
Disadvantages of Dog Board and Train Services
For some dogs, board and train services may not be the best fit. Board and train programs are far from a one-size-fits-all solution and won’t deliver results overnight. They’re an excellent resource to instill or remove desired behaviors, yet you’ll likely have to continue reinforcing what they learned after they complete the program.
Some other reasons overnight training programs might not be a good fit for you or your best friend include:
- Separation anxiety: If your best friend suffers from separation anxiety, a dog board and train service might not be the right solution. In addition to being away from home, your dog will meet new faces and dogs, which can be further sources of anxiety and impact how much they learn.
- Dogs have difficulty generalizing: Most dogs learn within the context of their location. So, your dog may have difficulty repeating their skills for you once they’re back in their home environment. You’ll likely have to continue training and reinforce what they learned with the trainer.
- Your dog will be away for a while: Daily activity creates a strong bond between you and your canine. You’ll miss out on some crucial trust formation when you send them away, especially during longer programs lasting weeks.
Tips for Finding a Quality Training Program
Finding the right extended stay overnight training program for your dog is crucial to ensure they stay safe as they’re trained. If you’re searching for a program, consider the following tips:
- Understand the methods trainers use.
- Look for the right certifications and qualifications.
- Schedule a visit to a trainer’s home or facility.
- Speak with former clients and ask them about their experiences.
- Be wary of anyone who guarantees results.
Work With Off Leash K9 Training Maryland for Train and Board Training Programs
If you think a train and board program is the solution you’re looking for, Off Leash K9 Training is ready to help. We offer various training programs to give your dog the manners and tools to behave properly at home and beyond. Our trainers have years of experience, giving us the knowledge and skills to safely and successfully train your dog.